Microsoft recently released formalized guidance documentation and PowerShell scripts for migrating from HMC 4.5 (or non-HMC Exchange 2007 environments) to Exchange 2010 SP2.
implement.com is fully up to speed on the documentation and PowerShell scripts. We have already completed a couple of migrations as well. The migration itself has proven to be relatively straightforward, however, coexisting Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 SP2 on a hosting platform is complex and requires careful planning and testing. We have hit a few issues in testing that we have added to our internal "cook book" on how to do these projects as the TechNet based coexistence documentation doesn't fully cover the hosting scenario.
The blog announcing the migration guidance can be found here:
Released: Migrating Exchange from HMC 4.5 to Exchange Server 2010 SP2 whitepaper
Microsoft just released the Multitenant version of Lync Server 2010. implement.com had a significant role in creating the guidance for this code release and we are very pleased with the results and the capabilities of the Lync Multitenanct Pack.
Along with the release of Exchange 2010 SP2 we now have a combined platform from Microsoft that allows service providers to offer Cloud based Unfied Communications with the full capabilities of Exchange and Lync. This means full telephony and the opportunity to displace traditional on-prem PBX gear.
Our hosting division, Chinook Communications, was one of six pilot service providers worldwide that did early testing and put real customer on the platform to pilot. The Pilot has been very successful and confirms our belief that once a typical customer get's familiar with the platform, they are more than willing to move forward with the service.
The initial push for this solution will be for service providers targeting SMBs, while larger mid-market and enterprises will leverage Private Cloud with dedicated Exchange and Lync. Either way, the service will be fully lit up for Enterprise Voice, PSTN termination, Lync based Audio Conferencing, Exchange 2010 Unified Messaging, and all of the other capabilities of Exchange and Lync resulting a truly innovative and capable communications and collaboration platform.
implement.com offers Lync Server 2010 Multitenant Pack Planning and Design Workshops, as well as deployment servcies as detailed below:
- Planning and Design Workshops
- Three Day workshop that takes a service provider through an overview of Lync Server 2010 Multitenant Pack and Hosted Exchange 2010 SP2, including developing a server architecture and design gap analysis
- The workshops include a thorough overview of how to migrate from OCS 2007 R2 to Lync Server 2010 and Exchange 2007 (and HMC if applicable) to Exchange 2010 as well as how to migrate from Exchange 2010 SP1 /Hosting to Exchange 2010 SP2 Enterprise
- The workshops can also include SharePoint 2010 and Dynamics CRM 2011
- Deployment and Migration Services
- Deployment includes building a lab and deploying the production platform. It also includes the option of deploying and ISV Control Panel solution to handle automated provisioning and delegated administration
- Migration Services include migrating from OCS 2007 R2 to Lync Server 2010 and Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007 including HMC to Exchange 2010 SP2 Enterprise
- Additionally, implement.com offers automated migration services from legacy POP/IMAP platforms to Hosted Exchange. This capability is provided by our own migration platform called the Implement Migration Manager
- Deployments can also include SharePoint 2010 and Dynamics CRM 2011
Here is a link to the guidance for Lync Server 2010 Multitenant Pack:
Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Multitenant Pack for Partner Hosting Deployment Guide